Wednesday 22 February 2012

Are you giving up something? Or maybe taking something on?

Okay, so for us Christians, it's the time of Lent. At this time, a lot of us decide to give up something they like for the time between Ash Wednesday until Easter. Mostly it's about a new start, so it's actually suitable for everyone, regardless of their faith.

Today in school we had a Mass and we got ashes on our foreheads. The priest also said a lot of inspiring things during which a lot of us had a little snooze or a daydream, looking out the stained-glass windows.. The times when I actually listened, I heard that this is a time of prayer and penance. Um, yeah, but what has that got to do with my blog, right?

Well, I decided to give up something I really like - chocolate. Come on, who doesn't like chocolate? I know already that it's gonna be really hard for me, but by putting it out here I'm making it official, and it might help me remember. I don't know if it'll make me a better person, but at least I'll be healthier.


If you want to change something in your life, remember that it is never too late. You can start any time, not just Lent. Even if you're not a Christian, you can choose to change. After all, only you have the power to do it.
I decided to come up with a list of suggestions that a lot of you might find useful:




  • Like me, you can give up junk food. Are you the type of person who lives on snacks and fizzy drinks? Well, maybe it's time to change that. I promise you will feel better after a few weeks.
  • Do some exercise. Just go outside while it's still bright, go out jogging with a friend (or with your iPod) or go to the gym. You can also go swimming, cycling, or maybe join a local sports club? Exercise doesn't have to be boring. Who knows, after a few weeks you might even get runner's high!
  • Get off the Internet, or the TV. Give up or limit the time you spend on Facebook or Twitter and go out and find something useful to do instead. You have to live your life, not watch someone else's. 
  • Spend some quality time with family. Talk to your parents, brothers or sisters, grandparents.. I know it sounds really bad, but they're not going to be around forever..
  • Go out with your friends and have a laugh. We young people are very privileged. There's a reason people say school years are the best time of our lives. Use the time you have, stop trying to grow up too quickly and just enjoy being young!
  • Be nicer to others around you. Everyone can improve on that, right? Because nobody's perfect. Just accept people the way they are. You don't have to like everyone. In desperate times, use some of these techniques:

  • And most of all: it gets old but I have to say it: Just be yourself! You don't have to pretend to be someone you're not just to fit in or impress someone. Everyone can spot a faker.

No comments:

Post a Comment